Skills vs Degree
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
cruelcookies

More skills? Really? Empty More skills? Really?

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:33 pm
I highly doubt that the gig economy and its creeping spin on precarious employment has any effect on raising skill levels to the extent that tertiary education might provide. To begin with, many of the 'gig' roles are not highly skilled and will not impart any skills. In contrast, tertiary education provides not just the skills, but also the networks and social capital to make manifest some of those skills learnt in the classroom.
Rlim

More skills? Really? Empty Degree not needed

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:30 am
In any type of employment, be it in the gig economy or not, employers should appreciate skills more than degree. In fact, most jobs wouldn’t require a degree. Most employers just think that if one has a degree, then he/she is of higher calibre. However, we all know that that’s not the case. Hence I think having a degree should be irrelevant for most jobs. You need the skills and competencies. Having a degree just looks good on paper.
XYZ

More skills? Really? Empty Class and Money

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:44 pm
How about factors like class and money? Not everyone can afford a degree. In that case, maybe skills can compensate. In some academic roles like being a professor, having done extensive research in subjects like history is important. But if you're a technician, does it really matter? I don't think so. I don't think degrees are always more important or even necessary.
akk

More skills? Really? Empty Skills are better for the gig economy

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:10 am
Being one in the gig industry, I feel that my skills are more relevant than having a degree. My skills allow for me to actually be more specific in my field and industry and really focus on it. The skills that I have from other workshops are more applicable and something that not everyone has and that actually makes me stand out in the gig economy. People hire me for my skills and not for my degree (something that almost everyone has now)!
jeanno

More skills? Really? Empty Why not both

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 am
Even in the gig industry, i agree that many of you feel that skills can help you stand out from the many individuals, but i feel that a degree can also help you gain validation. With a degree, you seem more credible and legitimate. Don't you agree? Of course it depends on the industry, but essentially, having both would be better than 1, in my opinion
jeanno

More skills? Really? Empty Why not both

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:29 am
Even in the gig industry, i agree that many of you feel that skills can help you stand out from the many individuals, but i feel that a degree can also help you gain validation. With a degree, you seem more credible and legitimate. Don't you agree? Of course it depends on the industry, but essentially, having both would be better than 1, in my opinion
Sponsored content

More skills? Really? Empty Re: More skills? Really?

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum