Skills vs Degree
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
CY

Would you enter the Gig Industry after Commencement? Empty Would you enter the Gig Industry after Commencement?

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:38 pm
Recent Joint Graduate Employment Survey 2017 reveals that "More went into freelance work – 2.4 per cent compared to 1.7 per cent in 2016. The proportion of graduates in part-time or temporary jobs remained at about 8 per cent."

Would you enter the Gig industry after your commencement? Why and why not?

How are the skills needed to do well in Gig industry? Do you think SMU education prepare you for it?

Full Article: Google for "Higher starting pay for university graduates, more in freelance work: Survey" by Straits Times (new member currently not allowed to post external links for 7 days due to forum regulations)
pangszemeng

Would you enter the Gig Industry after Commencement? Empty Re: Would you enter the Gig Industry after Commencement?

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:20 pm
I believe everyone has their own mindset about work, rest and play.
Some people prefer a stable job with stable income and things are more predictable. And they can plan for their future.
However some people prefer a more carefree lifestyle. Work, save and then enjoy and worry later, since you don't even know when you will die.
Better to enjoy now while it is still possible, before anything happens.

As for myself, i am a old conservative person. And i prefer to have stable job with a stable income, so that i can plan carefully for the days ahead.
So if i am fresh graduate today, i won't enter the Gig industry upon graduation.
R Lim

Would you enter the Gig Industry after Commencement? Empty Not for everyone

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:13 pm
I personally would enter the gig economy. It is interesting, fast paced, no need to answer to angry bosses. It’s everything to love if you hate routine. However, some may not like the instability of income.

In my opinion, competent individuals will do well in gig economy. Their expertise and competencies will be needed in some organizations which require short term help. Incompetent individuals, on the other hand, may not secure as many jobs and projects, and hence, not be able to sustain themselves financially in the long run. The incompetent ones probably know that for a fact as well. Hence, I think that incompetent workers tend not to be gig economy workers. Instead, they find comforts in having a full time job which will pay them a stable monthly salary despite their daily job performance. Until they terminated, that is.
R Lim

Would you enter the Gig Industry after Commencement? Empty Not for everyone

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:13 pm
I personally would enter the gig economy. It is interesting, fast paced, no need to answer to angry bosses. It’s everything to love if you hate routine. However, some may not like the instability of income.

In my opinion, competent individuals will do well in gig economy. Their expertise and competencies will be needed in some organizations which require short term help. Incompetent individuals, on the other hand, may not secure as many jobs and projects, and hence, not be able to sustain themselves financially in the long run. The incompetent ones probably know that for a fact as well. Hence, I think that incompetent workers tend not to be gig economy workers. Instead, they find comforts in having a full time job which will pay them a stable monthly salary despite their daily job performance. Until they terminated, that is.
A Hong

Would you enter the Gig Industry after Commencement? Empty Long-term Career

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:38 pm
No, I wouldn't enter the Gig Economy because like the other posters said, I prefer to have routine. I think there may also be benefits in a salaried job like healthcare and time off that you don't get with gigs. I also want to build my career at a firm rather than just worry about where I'm going to find my next job. For me, I want to rise up as a Director or VP, not just build my portfolio. For that reason, I would not choose to enter the gig economy.
Sponsored content

Would you enter the Gig Industry after Commencement? Empty Re: Would you enter the Gig Industry after Commencement?

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum