Skills vs Degree
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
KSN-1

Professional Certifications vs Degrees Empty Professional Certifications vs Degrees

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:20 am
For many years, professional certifications already exist in the various fields. E.g. ACCA, CCNA, PMP, PHR, etc.

Since most of these are run by international organizations, would they be at least better than degrees from third-tier universities? What do you guys think?
Jontan

Professional Certifications vs Degrees Empty Depends

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:30 pm
It depends on what particular area and in that field how high is that degree recognication.
Cherylc

Professional Certifications vs Degrees Empty Re: Professional Certifications vs Degrees

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:49 pm
International certification allows for some extent of standardization and consistency, which might be useful for industries with strict regulations and procedures.
abh

Professional Certifications vs Degrees Empty Re: Professional Certifications vs Degrees

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:57 pm
I think that professional certifications like the ones you mentioned is good for proving that one has a certain specific skillset. In a way, that is better than degrees as degrees are a much more general certification than something more specific (eg CISCO's CCENT will prove competence in computer networking, which a computer science degree holder may or may not have).

Nonetheless, degrees, whether from a first, second, or third-rate university, hold some value outside of proving that one has a specific skillset. Being able to successfully complete a degree course requires more than just technical skills - it requires good communication and teamwork to complete projects successfully, it requires good time and stress management, and of course, it also does require some technical skills, though it may not necessarily be a very specific set of technical skills that may be required by a certain employer.

All in all, i think that both professional certifications and degree programs are important in their own right. This is probably why many employers look for degree holders, and then send their new employees for courses to obtain these professional certifications.
Queenie@HuiYi

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:00 am
I think it is dependent on your which field you are in. For some fields, being a degree-holder only acts as a basis and will not allow you to get any further. One main reason is probably a degree is more broad-based than having a professional certification, where the things you learn are more specific to the skills set required from you.
Fms

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:31 am
Given Singapore's redundancy rate, especially in PMET jobs, perhaps there's a discrepancy between employees' expectations and the skill sets of workers. Assuming that a degree is already a requirement to enter the PMET labour market, then the degree itself might not be sufficient to remain in said market, no matter the university. This is where additional professional certifications would be relevant in addressing the discrepancy.
sonzerasmas

Professional Certifications vs Degrees Empty hard to get degree

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:36 am
I would like to say that skills are more important, but unfortunately degrees in today's world are more recognized. However, they are so expensive!! and I feel that they are not the best gauge to the working life. Having gone through a degree, i don't think that my degree has effectively helped me prepare for the working world, which i think picking up specific skills can actually do better.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum